...Thy Kingdom come, on earth as it is in heaven...
Our Lord Jesus Christ came into this world as Priest, Prophet, and King. As his Body, the Church, we share
Jesus Christ is not the ordinary kind of king, wielding temporal and material power, "lording it over" his subjects, or attacking and decimating his enemies. In fact,
- in his priestly mission of worship, a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the Father and intercession for the life of the world,
- in his prophetic mission of proclaiming Good News (evangelization),
- and in his kingly mission of building up God's kingdom on earth.
"though he was in the form of God, [he] did not regard equality with God something to be
grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even
death on a cross. [Philippians 2:6-8]
Jesus is a new kind of King, a Servant-King. And so the way we welcome and build up his Kingdom on earth is to imitate his loving service by
- Gratefully receiving and gathering the gifts of God: the time given us for living our lives, the talents planted and cultivated in our minds, our hearts, and our bodies, and the material resources entrusted to our use for God's purposes;
- Ordering these gifts through the careful administration of human resources and material goods;
- Sharing and distributing these gifts so that "all might have life, and have it to the full."