A godparent (stands up for those being baptized) and a sponsor (stands up for the person at Confirmation) needs to be:
- A devout Catholic who is a great role model for the Catholic faith!
- A fully-initiated Catholic who has received Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic church community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
- A role model adult other than the parents of the student
- Only one male godparent/sponsor, one female godparent/sponsor, or both. The godparent and the sponsor can be the same person for the student.
- Encourages the student to lead a life-long, faithful Catholic Christian life. Catholic family members or life-long friends are encouraged to be godparents/sponsors since it is the intention to always remain an important part of the student’s life.